11.18.2009

Bedroom Blenvy

I moved into my boyfriend's house in April of this year. I kid you not when I say that the extent of the furniture was as follows:

-tiny dining table (you know the one with the light pine top with the white legs)
-oak dresser and bed frame in the guest room (neither to my liking, both for sale on craiglist as I type)
-2 extra large TVs
-a mattress (which was just on the floor in the bedroom, no box spring, no frame, no nadda. I can't say this isn't how I lived at my apartment previously, but at least i had the box spring... right?)
-a couch (which I made him buy or I wasn't going to move there. Laying out blankets on the floor for movie night is only fun when it's a choice, not a requirement)

So, to the point of this post. I have 2 bedrooms on my to-do list (there are 4 in the house so really there are 4 on the list but can only wrap my head around 2 right now) the master and the downstairs guest room. We recently just inherited a King size bed (glorious), so in turn, I got to buy a new bed set (squeal). I have always wanted a dark gray bed spread, so that's what I got. This really kick started the master make over.
OK, so I have a charcoal bedspread, now what color to paint the walls? All the walls in the house are khaki and while I really like the color, I want the bedrooms to feel like more of a retreat from the everyday living space so they need some new color on the walls. So should the walls be a light gray so the bedspread is the rich focal point? Or should the walls be white so the charcoal pops? Or should they be deep gray with pops of white and color? I scoured the web for some inspiration.
I am sure that you have all seen this picture from Michelle's home over at Three Men and a Lady and to say I was inspired is an understatement. It was everything I had been dreaming of!




I have already told her that she will be seeing a duplicate of this room sometime in January of next year. Imitation IS the sincerest form of flattery :). And when I say copy I don't mean it will be sort of like this, I mean I stopped at Home Depot yesterday to pick up the paint chips of the colors used. Sorry but I want to live in the swanky hotel too!

On to the guest room...
Again, bare space, furniture I don't like and hoping to sell asap. For this space I was on a mission to find something a little more bed and breakfast-y. Monotoned with creams, browns, and whites. Maybe a little shabby/rustic. Or maybe a little cottage. Because I couldn't put into words or on paper what I was thinking about, I called upon old faithful (Google or Swagbucks). So for a few weeks I was coming up a little less then excited because it seemed as if I had such bad taste that no one wanted to replicate my ideas. Until... Funky Junk Interiors posted to DIY Day. I think I felt the world actually stop moving for a second when I opened this page. My brain was splattered all over her room! (thank god not literally, probably not the look many people go for). Anyway, here it is...





I already have the khaki color on the wall and some creamy white paint in the shed, and a secret love affair going on with the Restore in my area so this project should be easy on the wallet and big on impact! Thanks so much to these 2 ladies for having such amazing taste and taking the time to share it with us.

3 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh... I'm in the same post as that high end elegance palace type place?!? I'm truely honoured! :)

    You are right in that this bedroom is dead easy to copy. The colour on the walls is actually a soft taupe, and the curtains are unsewn fabric. Raw edges even. :) Go for it!!!

    Thanks so much for the feature. And for telling me about it!

    Funky Junk Donna

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a fan of both of these bedrooms! They're completely opposite as far as design style, but they're both completely awesome. Can't wait to see your finished rooms. Hope you have fun hosting your first Thanksgiving too!

    pk @ Room Remix

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi.
    I just stopped over from The DIY Showoff and wanted to say hello. You have a lovely blog. Both of those bedrooms are wonderful! Isn't blogland amazing for inspiration?!

    XO*Tricia

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and taking the time to share your thoughts :)