10.29.2009

From Shutter to Shut Up!

**Update I am now linked up over at A Soft Place to Land's DIY Day! Come check out everyones DIY goodness!

Does anyone else’s adrenaline just rush through them when they go thrift shopping? There is something about laying your eyes on the one thing you have been looking for, or finding something that just makes your heart go pitter pat.

I shed a tear when I found my $1 shutter, well not an actual tear but you get it… right?

Here she is before:


This picture really doesn’t do her sadness justice. She was very industrial, cob webby, stained and scratched.

But with a coat of primer, a few coats of white spray paint, and some decorative bling, she has done a complete 180. I distressed her a tad and painted the wooden decorative accent ($2 with coupon from Michaels) with a coat of primer, then black spray then white spray, to give her a nice gray-ish tone. I went ahead and scratched that up a bit too!

Here she is after:



(she is not really hung this crooked, I was just so excited, I hung her up without taking any pictures first. So this is my attempt of reaching up to take a shot)



As you can see, she is the new mail holder in our entry way for a total of $3!
I am in lust. I woke up this morning to leave to work and I actually stood there and admired her for a second. Isn’t she lovely?

**I am linked up over at The Shabby Chic Cottage for Transformation Thursday. Stop by and check out the other great makeovers!

19 comments:

  1. Very cute! I love the shutter as a mail holder. You are a clever girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks! Coming from you that is a great compliment! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We absolutely love shutters because of all their wonderful possibilities...your turned out fab!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used a shutter I found in my parents shed as a magazine rack in my room when I was a teen. I like the idea of a mail holder too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea... I love shutters and not it has a purpose too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love that idea..might steal it if you don't mind. And isn't it fun to remake something out of something old?

    tammy

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it! So pretty and functional...and your post was pretty entertaining as well;) I've admired my own handiwork on more than one occasion, too!

    Tamera@doubledelight

    ReplyDelete
  8. love this!!! so beautiful! I use those wooden flourishes on everyhting too!
    nice job:-)
    AMY

    ReplyDelete
  9. great idea - love it! Looks so shabby chic yet its actually a functional piece. I may have to try this one for all my kids paperwork from school. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. She is lovely....really, SHE is!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your title ;). Shut up indeed! It looks fabulous and I think I need one now.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You DO like damask! Your blog background looks like my daughter's headboard! Love the shutter!! What a great idea. Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous! So cute - you did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  14. So very clever! I love all the shutters we see in blog land these days!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is one of the BEST ideas I've seen in a LONG time!! I LOVE LOVE this! I for sure want to copy it. Thank you for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such a great idea!! I am on the hunt for a shutter now :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and taking the time to share your thoughts :)