10.14.2009

Spending Dimes and Making Dollars

If you really knew all that the blogosphere could provide for you, you might just keel over right there in your chair. Less than 4 months ago, I couldn't have cared less about what strangers were writing about on the internet. I now owe those very strangers my eternal gratitude.

Let me take a quick poll. How many of you think that a tube of toothpaste priced at $2.50 is a great deal? I bet 99% of you think that is what you will always pay for toothpaste. Well, I’m part of the 1% that knows I don't have to.

I know there is a stigma when it comes to using coupons, and if I can be frank (which I can because this is my blog and can do what I want), it's time to get over yourself. "Each year, $400 billion worth of coupon savings are printed, yet less than 1% of those coupons are ever claimed. " Seriously? Who knew that $400 BILLION was just floating around and no one ever claimed it?

And yes, you can get your Sunday paper and clip .35 cents off of Uncle Ben's and say "is .35 cents really worth it?". Well, it's not if that’s all you are going to do. Putting a couple hours in each week while you’re watching Greys Anatomy or having your Sunday coffee can save you hundreds of dollars a month. Saving money doesn't always mean not buying something, or making more money, it can mean living the same or better and still having money left over.

I have written a 15 page booklet for a class I plan to teach about couponing (also on my list from my welcome post, but yet to come to fruition so I can't count it yet) so it would be impossible for me to tell you all the wonderful things about coupons, but I will give you a little taste of what can happen when you pick up a pair of scissors and put your ego in your pocket.

Example 1: Baby Shower Gift
Couponing is not limited to grocery stores. I incorporate it into all facets of my life.
First, Here is an Aveeno Baby gift basket that includes 4 baby products and a cotton towel:



and here is the OUTRAGEOUS cost of this basket (which most of you probably don't think is outrageous at all)



Ouch.

The Solution:
A homemade Aveeno Gift basket which includes 6 baby products, 4 cotton wash cloths, and a cute little squirt turtle. (not in its final form but you get the idea)



Total Cost: $5.24
SAVINGS OF $24.75 OR 83%

Need I say more?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by and taking the time to share your thoughts :)